Yellow Split Pea & Sweet Potato Soup
*Batch Cooking Recipe*
This recipe can easily be cut in half to make a smaller batch. Keep cooking times the same but use exactly half of each ingredient.
- 8 1/2 cups water
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 cups dried yellow split peas
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
Bring 1/2 cup water to simmer in a large saucepot over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook about 5 minutes or until translucent. Stir in ginger and cook 1 minute, stirring. Add remaining 8 cups water, peas and sweet potato cubes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
Uncover and continue to simmer 15 minutes. Carefully purée soup with a hand held immersion blender or in batches in a food processor until smooth and creamy. Garnish with pumpkin seeds.