Most women don’t have the time or patience to apply fake eyelashes every day. (We barely have enough time to use an eyelash curler!) So it’s no surprise that lash extensions have become increasingly popular in recent years. But to what lengths are you willing to go for a sexy flutter? Feeling a bit apprehensive about trying this beauty treatment? Yesterday, Amazing Lash Studio in Dallas invited me into their new location to have lash extensions done, and I learned a lot about eyelash extensions.
1. There are three types of lash extensions: synthetic, silk and mink. Size availability ranges from 6mm to 17mm. They applied 14-15mm to me, as my natural lashes are about 13mm. The lashes are applied one at a time using a specially formulated, semi-permanent glue that will not irritate the eye nor damage the natural lash. However, since allergic reactions are possible, there are different types of glue based on one’s sensitivity.
2. Applying a full set of lashes takes about two hours and can be maintained year-round with touch-ups recommended every three to four weeks. Because of this, I HIGHLY recommend bring headphones and music to enjoy as you lay. This will help the time to go by quickly.
3. Everyone has different lashes, and depending on the condition of your own natural lashes, lash experts can only go a certain length or thickness. (This is to ensure that your own lashes remain healthy.)
4. If you wear contact lenses, make sure to take them off before your appointment. This is to protect your lens just in case glue gets in the eye. I have to admit that I could not put my contacts back into my eyes until 48 hours after lash application. My eyes are a little more sensitive than others, so I just wanted to be on the safe side.
5. If you experience any burning or discomfort during the procedure, causing your eyes to tear or making you cry, this is a huge red flag, and you should certainly speak up. You may need to have your technician change the glue. Getting lash extensions should be a completely pain-free experience.
6. People want all different kinds of looks — some people go for drama, and some opt for something more natural. The benefits of mink lash extensions are that they are more feathery looking and lighter in general, so they put less pressure on your lashes. Mink lashes also come at a higher cost.
7. Keep water away from your lashes for the first 48 hours after application or touch-ups. Water can weaken the adhesive before it is set and cause lashes to fall off. The aftercare varies depending on the glue used. For instance, with glue for sensitive eyes, oil-based products or makeup removers around the eye area are not recommended. Just like your hair, make sure to “brush” your eye lashes daily. This will help them from clumping together. Using mascara on the extensions is not recommended, but if you feel you need to use it, only apply on the tips of the extensions and with a very light hand.
Because of the sensitive nature of the lashes and the surrounding area, Amazing Lash Studio has licensed and lash-certified technicians, which is definitely a must! Professionals use professional products and have been properly trained to apply the lashes without damaging your natural lashes or more importantly, your eyes.